Saturday, May 2, 2009

Cactus bloom

There's some pictures of my cactus(anyone got the ID???) blooming this year. It bloomed twice this year. The first attempt was right before a tropical depression(a.k.a cyclone) visits Mauritius. The cactus sent a bloom that started to open during the cyclone. Unfortunately, the winds broke the flower off. Notice the grey sky, it was a clear sign that the cyclone was near.
 
5th Feb 2009
7th Feb 2009
By the 8th February, there were no flower on the cactus, the wind wiped it off. I though that I would have to wait the following year for the next bloom.
Fortunately for me, my cactus was kind enough to bloom again in April 2009!! And this time, I had a better camera to shoot the flowers :-)
 
18th April 2009
  
19th April  2009
  
Same day. Look attentively, there are two flowers
  
The beautiful flower, open at last
This time, the flowers bloomed well and could be observed without any problem. The flower doesn't last long and dies(turns black) the following day. I didn't try to collect the seeds as this cactus is easily propagated. If you're interested in seed collection, I'll try it next year during the next bloom.

2 comments:

Rikesh November 22, 2009 at 2:31 PM  

No!! This one blooms during the day itself and closes at night!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

^ Scroll to Top