Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Panda Plant



panda plant, pussy ears, Kalanchoe tomentosa
panda plant, pussy ears, Kalanchoe tomentosa

Panda plant, also known as pussy ears, is a succulent having botanical name Kalanchoe tomentosa. It is from the family of Crassulacae and it is originated from Madagascar.

I got mine a couple of months ago and it has grown some new leaves since then. The guy from whom I got it has his Panda plants in direct sunlight. I have been told that the Panda plant grows to about 40cm in height but I've still to check it. I've placed mine where it got direct indirect light, and the Panda plant is doing great. Today, i moved it to my balcony where it will get direct sunlight, i'll monitor it to see how better it will grow.

Caring is quite easy. The Kalanchoe tomentosa does not need any special care, the most important aspect is avoid overwatering(The Panda plant needs little water) and allow the soil to completely dry out between watering. I water all my plants with water coming from my aquaria, so fertilisation isn't a problem for me.

I guess propagation should be easy. Leaf or stem cuttings will yield a new plant. I haven't tried propagating mine yet. Anyone got this plant???

6 comments:

Sue Catmint March 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

I've got this plant, it grows easily. I keep mine in a pot outside on a sheltered deck where it gets rained on so I never water it. The only thing I do is cut it back to shape it to keep it looking good in the pot. I recommend it, it's a great plant.

NotSoAngryRedHead March 25, 2009 at 7:27 PM  

This plant has been haunting me in nurseries, and I've so far resisted the temptation to purchase one. I suspect it'll grow from a leaf. I actually did a post recently about succulent propagation: http://notsoangryredhead.blogspot.com/2009/03/succulents-are-easy.html

Good luck with the new one!

Rikesh March 26, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

Thanks Catmint, I've just put mine outside, i hope it does well :)

@NotSoAngryRedHead:
Your tips are cool :)
what's the name of that succulent you propagated? I've got some but I don't know its name.

mmillikan,  March 30, 2009 at 7:14 PM  

My mom gave me a panda plant that was about 8" tall. I've had it about a year now and it's over 2 feet tall, just kept in a med. pot in my sunroom. So tall now it's having a hard time standing up even though the stem/trunk is strong. Any suggestions?

Rikesh March 31, 2009 at 10:19 AM  

Thanks for commenting mmillikan. One trick I use is to plant a stick near the plant and use a string to attach the plant to the stick. Don't tie the plant too firmly though. This way the plant stays straight. I use this method for chilli or tomato plants.

Anonymous,  March 13, 2011 at 9:42 PM  

I bought this Panda plant about 1 year ago.I put the plant a small to average pot. I had a trellis from a pot of another and the plant started to grow.I just let it grow and before I knew it it was growing up my window ! I should probably prune it but it looks really neat! As the other lady said that the plant leaves and trunk get heavy. I tried to move it and the leaves just fall off. I will probably have to really cut it back but as I said it looks really NEAT! Any comment is appreciated or suggestions. Oreolins

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

^ Scroll to Top